The new committee had their first meeting with the Company on December 3, 2002. Below is the proposal given to the Company.
PROPOSED AGREEMENT BETWEEN PACE LOCAL 8-0237 AND SIMPSON-TACOMA KRAFT COMPANY
For the purpose of a compressed work week schedule, the parties hereby mutually agree to the following terms and conditions:
I The twelve (12) hour shift schedule will be permitted by a vote of a 60% majority for a trial period that would last no more than one year, and then vote to work the schedule on a continuous basis by a vote of a 60% majority.
2. The twelve (12) hour shift times of 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. will define a day as a period of twenty four hours (24) beginning 6:00 a.m., and a week as a period of seven (7) calendar days.
3. The twelve (12) hour work schedule may be canceled by either party with fourteen (14) days notice, coincident with the beginning the next schedule, or within seven (7) days if mutually agreed to by the Union and the Company.
4 The implementation of the compressed work week will be on the conditions that the efficiency of any department or departments will not decrease or that safety will not be compromised.
5. It is clearly understood by both parties that replacements must be available for relief purposes when required. Replacement will come, in order, from the extra board, then the employee in the classification who most recently worked the job, finally from a volunteer list. Persons wanting such overtime will sign up on a volunteer list that will be updated monthly. This coverage may be scheduled when necessary.
6 It is understood by both parties that problems may arise in working the compressed schedule. Should this occur, the Combined Compressed Work Week committee will meet to discuss the problems and make recommendations for resolution.
7 Overtime will not be paid if incurred as a result of the initial implementation or the discontinuation of the twelve (12) hour shift schedule.
8. Overtime at the rate of time and one-half will be paid for all work in excess of eight (8) hours in any one day at the compressed rate for hours worked on the compressed work week schedule.
9. Weekly indemnity benefits will continue to be calculated on the basis of seven (7) calendar days.
10. Floating holidays will be paid at the day rate of the job assigned for that week. Rate of the job referenced is the compressed rate. Each floater is paid at twelve (12) hours at the compressed rate. The number of floating holidays will remain as defined in the current labor agreement.
11. Jury duty allowance will be paid for hours lost up to 12 hours per day at the compressed pay rate.
12. The job rates of the employees working the compressed work week schedule will be adjusted to 0.857142 of the rate established by the current labor agreement. However, overtime pay for work outside the regular compressed work week schedule, call time, machine clothing time, allowance for failure to provide work, vacation pay, holiday pay, time worked on a holiday, and time worked on Sunday will be paid at the established rate of pay as defined in the labor agreement.
13. Funeral Leave will be paid for hours lost up to 12 hours per day at the compressed pay rate. Maximum number of days will be defined by the current labor agreement.
14. Shift differential will be paid for all time worked on night shift at the rate of the sum of the current swing and graveyard differentials divided by twelve (12). [e.g, ((8 hours x $0.60) + (8 hours x $0.83)) / 12 hours = $0.95 per hour]
15. Attached is the eight week cycle for the compressed work week schedule that will be worked. (Attached Exhibit A)
16. The Company will make a reasonable effort to avoid scheduling extra board employees for more than forty-eight (48) hours in any seven (7) day period.
17. Except as outlined above, the terms and conditions of the existing collective labor agreement remains unchanged.
Example 1. Meeting on day 1 or day 2:
Employee goes to the meeting and at the end of the meeting gets paid for time at the meeting, at non-compressed rate and goes home, or comes back to department to complete a 12 hour day shift and receives 12 hours pay at the compressed rate.
Example 2. Meeting during day shift onDay 3:
Employee goes to the meeting and at the end of the meeting , gets paid for the meeting, at non-compressed rate and goes home, or comes back to department to complete a 12 hour day shift and receives 12 hours pay at the compressed rate. Employee works nights of day 4.
Example 3. Meeting on day shift on day 4:
Employee works 12 hours on day shift of day 3. On day 4, employee goes to meeting. At the end of meeting gets paid for time at meeting, at non-compressed rate and goes home, or comes back to department to complete a 12 hour day shift and receives 12 hours pay at the compressed rate.
Example 4. Meeting on day shift on day 5:
If the meeting will last longer than 4 hours; employee does not work on day 4 and goes to the meeting on day 5. The employee is paid 12 hours at the compressed rate of pay.
Example 5. Meeting on day 3 and/or day 4:
Employees scheduled to attend meetings which are less than 4 hours on day 3 and/or day 4, with the approval of the supervisor, attend the scheduled meeting and work the shift as scheduled. Example: Meeting is at 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on day three. Employee attends the meeting and is paid for the meeting time. The employee then works the scheduled shift.